Defend yourself against stress, unwind mentally and improve your health.
Below you will find some practical tips on how to stay calm and healthy every day.
- Starve the negative. Avoid overloading on negative information from TV, press, gossip about friends or colleagues and dont associate with anyone who has a pessimistic view on life
- When faced with any problem, try to look at the facts without emotion. Often its our emotional reaction to a problem that creates the most distress. Be as objective as possible and you’ll think more clearly and discover solutions that emotions can mask.
- Hug someone. We need physical contact to feel connected to something other than ourselves and to feel a little less alone, especially in times of need.
- Distract yourself by watching a comedy film or by reading a humorous book. Encourage yourself to see the funny side of things.
- Be in the now. Whenever you feel anxious or stressed, fix your attention to your immediate surroundings, be aware of your body and your breathing and completely focus on whats going on now. Tell yourself; I’ve only got to manage this moment. When you discover you can do that, the next moment becomes manageable as well.
- Get enough sleep. A rested mind and body will produce more creative ideas and solutions to whatever you face.
- Practise letting go. One useful technique is to visualise putting your worries into a large wooden chest, then firmly closing the lid and locking it with a large key. Try to do this every night before you fall asleep.
- Feed your senses with positive and beautiful sights and sounds. Look at nature or listen to the sounds of birdsong or children’s laughter. Walk through parks, take time to admire magnificent buildings or visit art galleries.